Biography of the President of the Republic His Excellency Mohamed Cheikh El Ghazouani
His Excellency was born on 2 December 1956 in Boumdeid ; in the wilaya (region) of Assaba eastern Mauritania, in a family of reference in the field of Sufism.
His Excellency is married and has 6 children
During his childhood, His Excellency followed a traditional teaching in parallel to formal education which enabled him to recite the Holy Quran while he was still in the fifth primary school form.
After obtaining the high school diploma, he joined the armed forces to begin a training phase combining military training and public education.
In the military field, he pursued numerous training and courses and was awarded several certificates:
Higher military studies course in Jordan.
Military Staff course.
Advanced refresher course in Cavalry.
Refresher course at the Atar Military School.
Training of officers at the Royal Military Academy of Meknes.
Officer training at the Royal Military Academy of Meknes
In the field of education and public training, he obtained a master’s degree in administrative and military sciences as well as a university degree in legal studies.
Before his election in the first round of the presidential elections on 22 June 2019, His Excellency had held the following high-level positions in the political and military systems:
Minister of National Defense, from October 2018 to March 2019.
Chief of the General Staff of the Armies from April 2013 to October 2018, the date of his retirement;
President of the Defense Council in 2009;
Chief of Staff of the National Army from 2008 to 2013;
Director General of National Security between 2005 and 2008;
– Member of the High Council of State 2008 – 2009;
– Member of the Military Council for Justice and Democracy 2005 – 2007;
– Head of the 2nd office at the General Staff of the Army 2004 – 2005;
– Commander of the armored battalion from 1991 to 2004;
– Aide-de-Camp to the President of the Republic from 1987 to 1991;
– Responsible for several commands and services of the Army from 1981 to 1987;
APPOINTMENTS TO SUCCESSIVE RANKS
Leaving the Military Academy with a Section Head Certificate, he was promoted to second lieutenant in July 1981. He normally progressed in his different ranks of officer, until his promotion to the rank of Brigadier General in April 2008 then to the rank of Major General on 1 January 2012.
During his career, His Excellency received numerous national and foreign decorations:
– Knight (Chevalier) of the National Order of Merit;
– Commander of the Order of National Merit;
– King Abdel Aziz Medal of 1st class;
– Commander of the French Legion of Honor.